Raised flooring or access flooring is a raised structural floor which is placed on a strongly placed concrete slab. The elevated floor is placed on adjustable pedestals over the concrete base. This type of flooring is usually seen in general open office spaces, computer rooms, exhibit spaces, support spaces etc. When used in such rooms it creates a better avenue for ventilation for the servers and other equipment. If not maintained properly, it can cause clog in the ventilation and derail the floor from doing its purpose.
There are two ways through which the elevated flooring can be maintained well:
- Structural maintenance
- A regular inspection on the structures is a necessity. One needs to check whether there are any pedestals or panels which are twisted or bent. It is also required to check if there is any damage or scratches on the components.
- If there is any damage, it is recommended to be replaced or repaired instantaneously.
- Make sure that there is an annual inspection on the raised floors so that progress regarding the functioning is kept intact.
- Moving the panels from high footfall areas to the lower ones will help in keeping the panel structure without wear and tear for the long run. Rotating the panels twice a year will be sufficient.
- The grid system needs to be at least checked twice a year for any possible dislocations and rectifying it so that it will not give rise to any other potential problems.
- The panels should be checked regularly for any kind of delamination or wearing out.
- Environmental Maintenance
- Day to day normal maintenance will help the panels and the structure remain efficient for the long run.
- It is essential to vacuum or dust the surfaces daily. If using a vacuum cleaner, make sure to use the one with a static dissipating rod.
- Adjust the temperature and humidity of the room where the raised flooring is placed. This helps in avoiding the damage of the equipment in the room.
- Do not use strong detergents while mopping the floor. It is also advisable not to use overly wet mops while cleaning.
- Take the help of professional cleaners at least twice a year.
- The subfloor and the understructure has to be cleaned at least twice a year.
- In case of a stain, it is optimal to clean it immediately with a mild detergent and a damp cloth.
- Avoid using wax for any purpose on the floor panels. If it comes in contact with wax, you have to remove it quickly.
- Placing welcome mats on the entrance of such rooms will help prevent entry of dirt and such substances to the panels. This will help with lessening scope of soiling and help in keeping the raised panels proper.